Pleased with good crop of baled hay

Well, the change in weather will have slowed down all the grain getting combined and the hay getting baled.
I think we may have been fortunate since I only received just over half-an-inch at home. But as we were travelling into Winnipeg on Sunday, they were getting hammered by rain.
If we only get this amount, it quickly will find its way into the ground and you will see the machinery back in action.
Prior to this rain, the weather was darn near perfect–the biggest problem at this time of the year is the heavy dews and shorter days.
After thinking our hay might be baled last Thursday, and then Friday, we finally baled it up on Saturday. The 350 nice second-cut bales will be a great treat during calving but if the weather looks good, I certainly wouldn’t turn down making a few more (I’m sure my helpers are glad to hear this, too).
After we had the hay in the barn, we headed over to a neighbour’s and picked up a nice load of straw and unloaded that in the barn, as well–another bonus for calving season!

On Friday night, I was off checking one of the groups of cows and found a calf that had stuck her face in the wrong spot!
She had porcupine quills in her nose.
I quickly looked at the rest of the herd, but she was the only one that seemed to have gotten up close and personal.
It was nearing dark so I decided I would wait until the next morning to bring them all home.
By the next morning, when I convinced them all to make the trip home to the yard, some had fallen out (cows are less trusting at this time of the year since they know we will be weaning their calves soon).
We sorted her and her momma out from the rest. I wanted to be sure the cow didn’t have any quills in her, as well–even if it was just from her nursing.
Fortunately, she seemed fine so we tied the calf and removed the remaining quills. We ended up with a bit of an audience and all the kids were able to leave with something for “Show and Tell” at school.
We decided to give the calf some penicillin just in case this left her with any issues. Meanwhile, I hope the porcupine is long gone!
Nanny always told us to run over any porcupine we saw, no matter how far it was away from the farm, just in case it ended up at our place.
One time we had almost ever cow with quills and it was a big job getting them out. Long before we ever owned a headgate!

I harvested the last canola trial on Friday at the Emo Agricultural Research Station. Thankfully, my boyfriend/partner stopped in and gave me hand (not so sure he was so happy about it).
It is a lot of trips on and off the combine when doing trials like this.
I still have a few blocks of late-planted wheat and all the soybeans, but other than that it was a good harvest.
All the seed is still in the dryer. It will need to be processed soon but with no students, only one job gets tackled at a time.

It will be a sad week on the farm. It looks like the ducks are leaving and I certainly will miss them—they were a fair bit of work but really fun to have!
The lambs will be ready in the next month, as well, and my butcher animals all are booked in at the abattoir!
’Tis the season . . . but I’m still not good at this part of my job!