More problems with calves

We certainly still have more snow cover than last year at this time but I’m almost able to get my big ol’ research truck out of the shop!
The snow was piled high and so icy that it made it nearly impossible to shovel.
I think we’re a few days away from doing much field work, especially when you look at the overnight lows for the next few days.
Spring is not my favourite time of the year (messy in the barn yard and things looks so dirty). But seeing the fields certainly is a welcome sight!
• • •
The problem that I have going on in my herd of cattle struck again last week!
I was out of town early in the week and my mom was taking care of the farm for me. She noticed one of the younger calves not quite himself, so she quickly gave him a couple of scour boluses.
He seemed pretty good the next day but when I got home, he was extremely dehydrated. I quickly gave him electrolytes and continued with his medicine throughout the next day.
Unfortunately, he showed no signs of improvement and I fully expected him to be dead the next morning. But he was still alive–barely—so I gave him more meds.
I left for work feeling quite defeated once again. Having sick animals, and not really knowing what is going on, really takes the joy out of farming!
Once I got to work, I spoke with a few clients and, of course, told them my problems. It was suggested to me by three people to take my calf into the vet clinic and have them put him on an I.V.
I called and made the arrangements, and had my unpaid farm hands load him and take him in! After eight bags of fluid, I drove back up after work to pick him up.
He was still weak but looked much better. Once I got him home and unwrapped his covering, he immediately got up and sucked the cow!
He seems to be doing well, though I’m just nervous about being too confident.
Since then, I had another one that I’ve treated. He also seems to be doing okay–but again I’m nervous.
The vet clinic, meanwhile, has submitted a poop sample so I’m hoping that we learn something from this.
• • •
The lambs started arriving on the weekend and I certainly hope these cute little things don’t get anything (normally a sick sheep is a dead one).
As such, I haven’t been sleeping well worrying about all the things that could go wrong!
I think since I’m busy stressing about some things, I’m overlooking others–like vaccinating. But with Easter weekend approaching, I’m hoping we can tackle this job!
• • •
I think anyone who attended the open house at the new dairy barn last week would agree that the Martins have a beautiful place and will enjoy many happy years with their new facility.
Maddie and Marlee were allowed to miss school so they could attend–and they thought it was the best day ever! They had a million questions on the drive home, though!
Nanny was able to make it, as well, and like the girls she thought it was a wonderful day, too.
Thanks to the Martin family for allowing us to visit!
• • •
We had a successful work-bee at the Stratton sales barn on Saturday.
James, our new manager, had been down blowing snow last week so we had less snow to deal with, but there still were doors and gates to be shovelled out.
With most of the snow blown out of the alleys, it will allow the rest to melt and run away.
Thanks to the group that came out and helped out with everything. It is nice to see that we can come together and get a job done!
• • •
A reminder the first cattle sale of 2014 will take place Saturday, April 26 at 9 a.m. at the Stratton sales barn.
For more info, call James Gibson at 487-2731.
• • •
Wishing everyone a Happy Easter—and I hope that special bunny finds you!