Last Thursday was my bad day

Winter certainly is showing its true colours this week!
Ugh, I don’t know if I am enjoying it too much. Everything is so cold and stiff.
However, I honestly can say it doesn’t surprise me since it is a very well-known fact that the week the Rainy River Cattlemen’s Association holds its annual meeting is usually the coldest of the entire winter.
Lo and behold, our meeting is Thursday night of this week!
• • •
I know everyone has a bad day once in a while and mine was last Thursday. I woke up with a few calls and texts that the heat must have been off or low at the Emo Agricultural Research Station since our alarm light was off.
Thanks to everyone who let me know since that call can save a whole lot of damage.
It did make me nervous since last week when I checked in on the place and found the furnace was not working. Fortunately, I was able to get hold of my friend and that problem was solved.
My normal routine had been to do my chores in the yard, then walk up into the bush where I am feeding my cows to check on them. I was running a bit late since I was trying to fix up my radio in the barn.
“Roxee” and I headed to the bush and I quickly spotted the sight you never want to see: a cow on her back. I saw she was still struggling so I found my cellphone in my layers of clothes and called my mom and dad to come fast since the cow was still alive.
As soon as I hung up, I thought I should have told them to just drive up with the truck but thought it was best I keep the cow’s head up as much as I could.
I tried pulling her with my scarf but no luck (too stretchy). She swung and hit me in the head twice with her head as she was struggling to get up.
I went flying the second time and ran back towards the house, hollering at my mom and dad who were trying to get tractor going but it was not plugged in. They finally heard me and came with the truck and rope halters.
I quickly got the halter, tied her to the hitch my dad pulled, and she jumped up quickly.
She is only a three-year-old and I think her youth helped. She seemed just fine, but my concern was the calf inside her.
I ended up bringing her in just so I could keep a closer eye on her. So far so good, and she and her friend that I brought in are loving the TLC in the barn.
My mom, meanwhile, mentioned that when she drove in, “Roxee” was on the step and she thought that was funny. I knew that she was scared when the cow was struggling around, but didn’t have time to pay much attention.
As I walked back to the house, I found Roxee had brought my sunglasses back to the step that had been knocked off my head when the cow hit me. I didn’t even notice.
I was quite proud of her and the glasses were just fine—other that some slobber!
And that wasn’t even the end of the day. I also had a frozen water bowl.
Thankfully, I was able to thaw that out with a few struggles and that was the end of a rather crazy day.