Farming can be a tough life

I really enjoy my life and especially my farm life, but there are days I really wonder what I’m doing! And I’m certain this happens to others, as well.
I do feel that some days the farm sucks the life right out of me. Even on the days I feel this way, I still enjoy what I am doing; I just wonder if it is all worth it.
It makes me sad to think of not cutting hay, working with cattle, getting run over by sheep, and, of course, saving a bunny. I see how hard everyone works around me to help me and it breaks my heart.
I’m sure there are things they would rather be doing than running around fixing all my breakdowns and making square bales on the hottest day of the year.
But what would I do if I wasn’t doing this? It is such a good feeling to teach and watch as Maddie and Marlee learn and enjoy farm life. It really isn’t for the money. After paying for fertilizer and now the expense of haying, I am broke until I start selling animals this fall.
Weather, breakdowns, and the lack of sleep all catch up to you. Perhaps, as one of my friends said, “It must be a full moon or something!” (not sure what moon phase we are on, though).
Although it was a hot day on Saturday, it was a pretty successful one. I had baler troubles on Friday night but thankfully neighbour, my boyfriend/partner, and my dad dealt with that while my mom helped me pull my bulls and get them all back at home again.
That went well. I think the bulls know their services are completed and they look forward to being home with access to a barn to help with the flies.
I then was off raking hay. My mom was certain we should try to make some square bales but after reading how many people have died in Quebec in the heat, I wasn’t sure that was a good idea. My boyfriend/partner was certain it was a terrible idea.
My dad was off cutting hay so once I was done raking, I went off to bale. I still was having troubles with the baler (I could make hay but it was tough starting a bale).
Finally, we thought we should make some adjustments. So my dad and boyfriend/partner were doing the repairs and my mom got her wish–we made a load of squares (my vet cousin also came to help).
We were unloading the bales, and it was getting a bit cooler by then, but suddenly the bales were really coming into the hay mow quickly. I looked out and there was the person that did not want to make square bales loading up the conveyer very quickly.
Normally you can’t hear because of the loudness of the tractor and conveyer–but he heard me. The bales slowed down again.
The repairs on the baler worked and we were back in action for Sunday, but the weather slowed things down. But, of course, there is never nothing to do–fencing, cattle checks, cutting grass, you name it.
It looked like we would be back in action again Monday.
• • •
A reminder the annual open house at the Emo Agricultural Research Station is set for Wednesday, July 27 at 7 p.m.
The annual Rainy River Soil & Crop Tour, meanwhile, will start at 9:30 a.m. at EARS. We have a great tour planned so be sure to mark the date down!
I will be sending our agenda of the tour this week!
• • •
Don’t forget to get in on the fifth round of “Catch the Ace!”
Kathy Gibson took home the first week prize. She is a second-time winner!