Farewell to summer students

Wow! Last day of August—where did our summer go?
My students were finished at EARS on Friday and I find that such a sad time.
I spend more time with my students that anyone else and I as much as I am happy for them to return to school and enjoy what is likely the best times of their lives, I find it such a lonely time for me at EARS.
I have said so many times that I spend a great deal of time with students in their 20s that I forget that I am in my 40s.
Thanks to Nick and Destiny for another great summer and I am also unsure that they will be returning since they are likely going to find jobs more career related next summer.
Once the weather changed for us last week we were busy on the combine—but the hours are shorter since we have to wait for the dew to leave us before we can get out there.
Excluding the soybeans, we are down to only three more trials. And because the weather kept us off the land, we have tackled some of the seed cleaning as well so that is somewhat of a bonus.
I like the fact that the students were able to see some of the trials all the way through—from planting to harvest to cleaning and all the data that goes along with that. This isn’t always the case!
They maybe didn’t think they were so fortunate when we were dirty and sweaty for combining.
• • •
Well, after combing our largest trial of wheat last Thursday, I rushed home and packed up all six of fair animals and headed up to Dryden.
The girls worked their magic and we were off to the Dryden Fair. The girls were excited to show off their animals to their Dryden family and friends.
The animals were a bit cranky for the fair on Friday but we managed to get through it all without much difficulty.
Marlee’s yearling won the Jack Pot heifer pot and I decided that it was only fair that we should split the money three ways since it was only fair.
Marlee thought otherwise and there was a bit of drama with this discussion.
We ended up tossing in all the money that we won and dividing it three ways—even though Marlee didn’t think this was very fair since it was her heifer and she is saving money to buy Daddy a new boat.
• • •
I left the Dryden Fair (and my cattle) on Saturday morning so I could get home for the cattle sale.
It is certainly not that I think the sale won’t run without me, but then guilt sets in and I felt that I should be there helping.
My friend, Ted, drove me home and my boyfriend/partner drove my cows home later.
All was fine—other than Maddie’s very docile Hereford heifer stepped on his toe and he was hobbling around when I got home.
As I arrived in Stratton, they had sold the last animals.
It was a smaller sale but it was a good one! A total of 464 animals fetched $902,534.67! I think the producers that sold were pleased.
The next sale is Oct. 3 and it is looking to be a big one.
• • •
I already mentioned this in an earlier Moos, but some missed the winners of the Rainy River Hereford Association’s “Guess the Weight” on the Hereford Heifer at the Emo Fair.
The winners were Tracy Hyatt, Ken McKinnon and Clayton Teeple.
All three of these farm people guessed the exact weight at 1,090.
Patrick Blackwell from Kenora won the beef package and he will be enjoying some great “Rainy River Raised” beef.
The Rainy River Hereford Association is not sure if they will be continuing this in the future since it is becoming harder and harder to find the help for this little undertaking.
• • •
Hope everyone can get out enjoy what is looking to be a nice warm week!