Early signs of spring

Well a lot has happened since the last week of “Moos!” Calving is in full swing and as I write this, I am up to 17. Yesterday I had a cow calving and I like to always see the feet coming and in the right direction. Though I couldn’t see to much, I was a little suspicious. I sat on a bale of hay and thought maybe I should just give her some time. I just had that feeling that I needed to check her. I tied her up and examined her and sure enough – backwards! But at least there were feet sometimes they come bum first and that is a tough job finding feet and getting them in position. I am not confident in handling the calf puller by myself and I worry about getting myself into something that I can fix. I called my neighbor and he came within 5 minutes and he successfully pulled out a beautiful little Hereford heifer. I am so fortunate to have good people “on call” and willing and able to help me. Thank you!!!

I really didn’t know if I was going to be able to sneak away to my friend June’s Birthday last week. My mom was over, and we had checked the cows over good and she assured me I should go. I left home around 2:20 p.m. – my mom came back over at 3:30 p.m. and she was calling me to tell me she had a calf outside. Of course, it was one of our cold days. I was worried about her struggling to get a calf inside. I called my Uncle to go and help but she managed to get it in. Last thing I wanted was her to have a heart attack. They aren’t the easiest things to transport! While at the party I was visiting about calving and explaining that we get our calves now and then in April the lambs arrive. Wednesday morning, I had quite a surprise. At this time of the year when I leave the house, I head straight to the cows that are outside, then the cows that I have locked in my shed and finally in the barn. Once I have them all fed and watered, I head to the sheep. It was one of those extremely cold mornings. I was putting the grain out for the sheep and out from behind the bale of hay came the littlest, cutest lamb I have ever seen. Alive and walking! I ran over the barn to get my mom, (she comes and helps me shovel) – I told her to come fast. She of course thought something was dead. She couldn’t believer her eyes either. We picked up the little thing that seemed to be quite fine. I looked around to see if there were any others. There was but it didn’t make it. We wrangled around and caught the mom and over to the barn we went. I had to do some big-time moving stuff around to build a pen for our new little addition. We checked her over good – her ears, feet all seemed find. She was soft and fuzzy. The end of her tail might have been a bit frosty but we dock tails so that didn’t concern me. Back over we went to check the rest of the ewes. None of them had any udder development. She would have been bred somewhere around the 25th of September. We didn’t own a ram at that point. But we did own a lamb that only had one testicle drop and I couldn’t castrate him. I pulled the lambs on Sept. 30 but obviously this happened before! What a surprise and the fact this little lamb survived blows my mind. She was lucky though because Black Bettie (my house bunny) has a few sweaters and she borrowed them to our little lamb.

I am expecting another busy week and it looks like mid-week the weather will be a little bit more challenging but the days are getting longer and sun is getting longer.