No. 7 Machine Modernized This Spring to Complete Program Of Rebuilding Fort Frances Units
With the rebuilding of the No. 7 paper machine this spring, the Fort Frances plant of The Ontario-Minnesota Pulp and Paper Company Ltd. now now can boast of three modern machines.
The unit is the third in the Fort Frances plant to be rehabilitated under the Mando modernization and expansion program, Nos. 5 and 6 have been rebuilt in recent years.
Commencing at the wet end of the machines, the head box and Fourdinier were raised 18 inches, and the existing 36-inch single box couch was replaced with a 44-inch double box couch roll. The additional head box depth and fifth bird screen was provided in anticipation of increased speeds. Mixing pump capacity was increased to 12,000 gallons per minute.
All dryers were previously dynamically balanced to allow for machine speeds up to 1,500 feet per minute.
The improvements included new front and rear dryer heads and rear bearings. Dryers and framing were levelled and realigned, and existing dryers drive spur gears replaced with a Dominion Engineering Co. totally enclosed helical tooth small-gear drive.
The calendar stack frame was completely replaced and existing stack rolls equipped with anti fraction bearings, with the exception of the bottom roll which was fitted with new self-aligning journal bearings.
- A new Pope wheel with water cooled drum.
- Type 20 Cameron winder with regenerative drive for speeds up 4,500 feet per minute.
- Doubling of broke chest capacity and replacement of paddle type agitator.
- Installation of a modern DeLaval lubrication system with sufficient oiling capacity for calendar stack rolls, front and rear dryer bearings, enclosed small-gear drive on dryer sections, and for the bottom calendar rolls on No.5 and 6 machines.
- Replacement of existing drive equipment, in service since 1927, with modern sectional Harland electric drive.
The new calendar stack is equipped with a Ross engineering Co. cooler. A new high velocity drying system, and a Ross-Hooper totally enclosed insulated aluminum panel hood modernized the machine ventilating system and provided a more even moisture distribution across the paper sheet. The west end room ventilation system was replaced to improve working conditions.
In the spring of 1953, No. 5 paper machine at Fort Frances was modernized at a cost of a million dollars.
The modernized, 186-inch machine now has a speed range of 200 to 1,500 feet per minute. This and other improvements enable it to manufacture a wider range of papers including a specialty printing, packaging and converting papers and newsprint. No. 5’s former maximum speed was 840 feet per minute, while it’s minimum speed was 600 f.pm.
A sectional electric drive replaced and outmoded, obsolete steam drive that has been in operation more than 36 years.
The new drive, along with the other modernizations to No. 5 allow the use manufacture of high grades of ground wood and other specialty papers.
Other modernizations include the installation of a removable fourdrinier, the installation of two straight through suction presses, a new smoothing press, the installation of seven dryers- -six additional and one replacement and the replacement of the Pope type reel.
A new Cameron winder replaced worn equipment.
Along with these improvements, No. 5 has individual stock cleaners for both ground wood and sulphite pulp.
Electrical circuits were revised and the Bird screens and head box were reconditioned and raised.
Before modernization, No. 5 was used for the manufacture of ground wood papers, converting papers, newsprint and tablet.