Thursday, April 24, 2014
- The Easter Market (located on McIrvine Rd., north of Canadian Tire) will be open today until 6 p.m. and again Saturday, April 19 from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Easter plants, Ukrainian eggs, Easter foods, and more.
- The Fort Frances Lakers will host the Minnesota Iron Rangers in Game 4 of the SIJHL final on Thursday, April 17 at 7:30 p.m. at the Ice for Kids Arena. Admission is $10 for adults and $5 for students. Game 5 will be held on Saturday, April 19 at 7:30 p.m. at IFK Arena.
- Fort Frances Community Garden and Kid’s Garden sign up will take place at the Easter Market on Saturday, April 19 from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. The cost is $15 for a family plot (10 ft by 20 ft) and $5 for a child’s plot.
- The first-annual Downtown Scott Street Easter Egg Hunt will be held Saturday, April 19 from 10 a.m.-noon. Pick up your Easter basket/bag and a map of participating businesses. Then follow the route and collect treats along the way. Finish up at the museum fro refreshments, prizes and photos with the Easter Bunny.
- CUPE 65 general membership meeting will be on Wednesday, April 23 at 7:30 p.m. at the Fort Frances Volunteer Bureau.
- Ahoy! Raincyrest’s volunteer appreciation luncheon will take place Thursday, April 24 from noon to 2 p.m. at Hallett Hall. Pirate attire optional.
- FFYS reminds anyone wishing to participate in “The Chill” satellite soccer skills camp—slated for Friday, April 25 from 5:30-7 p.m. and Saturday, April 26 from 9-10:30 a.m.—to register online at www.thunderbaychill.com (the deadline is April 20). The cost is $40 and you do not have to be registered with the FFYS to take part.
- A “Living with Stroke” program will run April 25-May 29 at La Verendrye General Hospital. For more info, call Marilyn Erwin at 274-3266 ext. 4542.
- A pleasure craft operators course will be held Saturday, April 26 from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. at La Place Rendez-Vous. Course fee is $100. Register at sailkenora.ca
- The first cattle sale of the year will be held Saturday, April 26 at the Stratton Sales Barn. Start time is 9 a.m.
- “The Sound of Music” will be performed by Fort Frances High School students Wednesday, April 30 through Saturday, May 3 at the Townshend Theatre. Showtime is 7:30 p.m. Tickets cost $8 for students and seniors, $10 for adults, and are available at Northwoods Gallery & Gifts and at the door.
- Border Concert Association will present “Les Trompettes de Lyon” on Thursday, May 1 at 7:30 p.m. at Backus Auditorium in International Falls.
- The 31st-annual Ducks Unlimited dinner/auction will be held Friday, May 2 in the arena auditorium, with cocktails at 5:30 p.m. and dinner at 6:30. Tickets, which cost $50/person or $90/couple, are available at the Fort Frances Times. The early-bird cut-off date is April 16.
- “Splash of Bold,” a watercolour/acrylics collage by Anne Siciliano, runs until May 3 at the Pictograph Gallery in Atikokan (located on the lower level of the Voyageur Mall). The gallery is open Tuesday-Saturday from noon-3 p.m.
- A song-writing workshop for those aged 13 and over, led by Shannon Darby and Kenneth Kellar, will be held Saturday, May 10 from 1-5 p.m. at the Fort Frances Museum. No musical experience required. The sign-up fee is $10, which will be refunded at the end of the workshop. To register, call the Fort Frances Museum at 274-7891 or drop by in person.
- Fort Frances Minor Hockey will hold its annual awards night (for all divisions) on Sunday, May 11 starting at 5:15 p.m. at the Memorial Sports Centre auditorium. No admission charge and players’ supper provided.
- Fort Frances Minor Hockey will hold its annual general meeting Tuesday, May 13 at 7 p.m. in the Ice For Kids Arena conference room. Everyone is encouraged to attend.
- The Emo and District Lions Club will host a “Sunset Gourmet Lunch” on Saturday, May 17 from noon-3 p.m. at the Christian Reformed Church in Emo. Tickets available from all club members or by calling 482-3788, with proceeds going towards new equipment for the Emo Health Centre.