Saturday, August 1, 2015
- The Clover Valley Farmers’ Market will be open Saturday, Aug. 1 from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. at its McIrvine Road location.
- Duncan Keith is bringing the Stanley Cup to town on Saturday, Aug. 1. Opening ceremonies are set for 10 a.m. at the ’52 Canadians Arena (doors open at 8:30 a.m.) Admission is free and everyone is welcome to attend. Complete details available at www.facebook.com/lordstanleyinff
- The Halkirk Fire Protection Team’s annual fish fry is set for Saturday, Aug. 1 from noon-6 p.m. at the Bear Pass Fire Hall on Bear Pass Road. There also will be a penny auction and homemade pies. Cost is $12 for adults and $5 for kids (dessert included). No dogs, please.
- The Municipality of Chapple will hold an old-fashioned family picnic on Saturday, Aug. 1 from 2-7 p.m. at the waterfront in Barwick. There will be a cold plate supper for adults (costing $10), with a hotdog and ice cream cone for kids ($2). There also will be pies, children’s games, and adult competitions.
- Stock car racing resumes Saturday, Aug. 1 at the Emo Speedway. Hot laps are at 7 p.m., with the first race at 7:30 (weather permitting). Admission is $10 for adults, $6 for students/seniors, and $4 for kids aged six-12 (those five and under are free). A family package also is offered for $25.
- Online registration for the Emo-Devlin-Barwick Minor Hockey Association is open Aug. 1-Sept. 5 (link to site will be posted on emohockey.com under registration on the main menu).
- The Daily Bulletin will not be published on Monday, Aug. 3. Have a safe and happy Civic Holiday long weekend, everyone!
- A group of “I Am Awesome” girls will be holding a “Music in the Park” fundraising barbecue on Thursday, Aug. 6 from 4-8 p.m. at the Emo Spray Park. Everyone welcome!
- The Rainy Lake Triathlon—featuring a quarter-mile swim, 11-mile bike ride, and 5K run—is set for Saturday, Aug. 8 at City Beach in Ranier. Open to ages 13 and up, it is a fundraiser for the Backus Community Center in International Falls. Visit www.rainylakeraces.com for more details.
- The Rainy Lake Community Orchestra will hold its annual free Summer String Workshop (for youths and adults) from Aug. 9-14 at the Ranier community building, with a free concert to follow on Friday, Aug. 14 at 7 p.m. Registration not required. For more info, call Margaret Sedgwick (274-7700), John Faith (1-218-286-3281), or Joe Belanger (1-218-283-3414).
- “Interior Castle,” an international Christian band, will hold a concert Sunday, Aug. 9 at 7 p.m. at St. Mary’s parish. Free-will donations accepted to cover the cost.
- An art camp for kids aged 12-17, led by artist Shawna Holmlund, will run Aug. 10-12 and Aug. 17-19 from 1-4 p.m. upstairs at the Fort Frances Museum. The cost is $115 for the six afternoons. Call 274-7891 to register.
- A Disability Tax Credit workshop and town hall meeting, hosted by local MP John Rafferty, will be held Monday, Aug. 10 from 7-9 p.m. at the Fort Frances Volunteer Bureau (old CN station).
- The annual Emo Fair will run Aug. 13-15. Advance midway tickets—which cost $28 (a savings of $5)—are available at Wilson’s Business Solutions and Fort Frances General Supply in Fort Frances, Dev-Lynne’s and the post office in Devlin, Tompkins Hardware, Village Variety, and Cloverleaf in Emo, as well as the Barwick Village Restaurant, Stratton Cafe, and Rainy River Drugs.
- The first-annual Fort Frances Hall of Fame induction dinner/ceremony will be held Saturday, Aug. 15 at the Copper River Inn. Tickets cost $35 each, which are available at Taggs Source for Sports or by contacting Terry Ogden (276-3050) or Dave Egan.
- The annual “First Rider” program—for first-time school bus riders this fall—will be held Tuesday, Aug. 18 at 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. in the boardroom at the Education Centre (school board office). It also will be held Wednesday, Aug. 19 at 2 p.m. at the Stratton Best Start Hub. Those interested must register by Wednesday, Aug. 12 at 4 p.m. by calling 274-6664 or 1-800-214-1753 ext. 5040.
- The 13th-annual “Ride for Memories,” a fundraiser for the local Alzheimer Society, will be held Saturday, Aug. 22 with start locations in Fort Frances, Dryden, and Kenora. Registration costs $25, which includes a ticket for the steak dinner at the Kenora Curling Club at 7 p.m. For more info or to register, call 1-800-682-0245, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.alzheimer.ca/krr