Friday, November 28, 2014
- “Moonlight Madness” will be held tonight (Nov. 21). See the ad on page A10 of Wednesday’s Times for full details.
- A Christmas “Vendor Blendor” craft sale will be held Saturday, Nov. 22 from 11 a.m.-4 p.m. at Rainycrest. Admission is free.
- Knox United Church will host a Christmas bazaar and luncheon on Saturday, Nov. 22 from 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. There also will be a bake table, cookie walk, and penny table. Admission is $6 for adults and $3 for children.
- A benefit bake/craft sale for Rosalie, the newborn baby of Tyler Cousineau and Bev Small, will be held Saturday, Nov. 22 from 1-4 p.m. at the Legion. Admission is $5 at the door. Donations can be dropped off today (Nov. 21) from 6-9 p.m. at the Legion. For advance tickets or more info, call Marie Hartlin (274-8728) or Erica McKay (1-204-292-7875).
- An East Indian supper in celebration of Diwali, India’s “Festival of Lights,” will take place Saturday, Nov. 22 at 6 p.m. at St. John’s Anglican Church. Vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes, as well as mild and hot curries, will be available. Tickets cost $20/person, with advance reservations required by calling Sarah Gervais at 274-5872 or 275-9330.
- The Borderland Racing Association will hold its annual meeting and election of officers Sunday, Nov. 23 at 1 p.m. at the Back Alley Bar (Emo Inn).
- PA Day activities, including swimming and skating, will be offered at the Memorial Sports Centre on Monday, Nov. 24 from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Cost is $35 for the first child and $30.83 for each additional child (resident) and $43.75 for the first child and $38.50 for each additional child (non-residents). Pre-register now by calling 274-4561 or stopping by the Sportsplex.
- Town council will hold its next regular meeting Monday, Nov. 24 at the Civic Centre. The committee of the whole will meet at 5:30 p.m. but be in-camera (behind closed doors) for an unspecified period of time. The public portion of the meeting will follow.
- Kids & Company presents “Enviro Drum” on Monday, Nov. 24 at 6:30 p.m. at the Townshend Theatre. Tickets cost $10 each (kids three and under are free), which are available at Revco Carpet, the Fort Frances Public Library, and Betty’s, The Coffee Landing in International Falls, and at the door.
- The Fort Frances Lakers will host the Dryden GM Ice Dogs in SIJHL action on Tuesday, Nov. 25 at 7:30 p.m. at the Ice For Kids Arena. Tickets cost $10 for adults and $5 for students.
- Riverside Health Care Facilities, Inc. will hold its next open board meeting Thursday, Nov. 27 at 6:30 p.m. in the boardroom at Rainycrest.
- The Legion Ladies’ Auxiliary will host a turkey dinner Friday, Nov. 28 at 5:30 p.m. upstairs at the Legion (doors open at 4:30). The cost is $15/person and everyone is welcome.
- The “Festival of Frost” celebration will run Saturday, Nov. 29 on the 100 and 200 blocks of Scott Street. It will feature toy and food drives, fire pits, sidewalk sales, Christmas carolers, and the Santa Claus parade, as well as “Breakfast with Santa” at St. John’s Anglican Church.
- “Pictures with Santa” will be held Saturday, Nov. 29 from 10 a.m.-noon and 1-3 p.m. at Walmart. The cost is $2.
- “Jet Stream,” the R.C.A.F. Band’s world-renowned 20-piece showband, will present a Christmas concert Thursday, Dec. 4 at 7 p.m. at the Townshend Theatre (doors open at 6:30). Tickets cost $20 each, which are available at From the Grind Up, Northwoods Gallery & Gifts, McTaggarts, and Gillons’ or by calling 274-4803. Proceeds in support of the Riverside Foundation for Health Care in partnership with United Way Thunder Bay.
- The annual “Polar Plunge,” hosted by the Voyageur Lions Club on Sand Bay on New Year’s Day, is looking for participants. For more info or to obtain pledge sheets, call Bill Michl at 276-1334.
- “Forget Me Not,” the local Alzheimer Society’s annual charitable dinner, also featuring entertainment and an auction, will be held Saturday, Jan. 31 at 5:30 p.m. at La Place Rendez-Vous. Tickets cost $50 each or $400 for a table of eight, with a $25 tax receipt issued. To purchase tickets, call 1-800-682-0245 or visit the Rendez-Vous or Northwoods Gallery & Gifts (Fort Frances), Dev-Lynne’s (Devlin), or the Emo Inn or Cloverleaf (Emo).