Thursday, December 18, 2014
- A benefit spaghetti supper for Thomas Chapais, a 10-year-old currently receiving treatment for osteosarcoma at Sick Kids Hospital in Toronto, will be held today (Dec. 12) at 5 p.m. at the Couchiching multi-use facility. Tickets cost $7 in advance (call Jennifer Singleton at 272-6050) and $9 at the door. All proceeds will go towards the family’s costs for food and shelter.
- The Métis Nation of Ontario will hold a community meeting re: the proposed transfer of land to Mitaanjigiiming FN on Saturday, Dec. 13 from 10 a.m.-1:30 p.m. at La Place Rendez-Vous (lunch will be served at noon). RSVP by Dec. 9 to Kevin Muloin (1-807-355-6537) or Joanne Meyer (1-416-977-9881 ext. 101).
- The annual Santa Lucia supper will be held Sunday, Dec. 14 (service at 5:30 p.m. and then the dinner at 6 p.m.) at Zion Lutheran Church (1105 Scott St.) Tickets cost $15 for adults and $5 for kids 10 and under, which are available at Northwoods Gallery & Gifts or by calling Todd Moxham at 274-6059.
- Town council will hold its next regular meeting Monday, Dec. 15 at the Civic Centre, with an estimated start time of 6:30 p.m. The committee of the whole will meet first at 5:30 p.m., but be in-camera to discuss five items.
- “The Gospel Music of the King,” featuring Elvis impersonator Daylin James, will be held Tuesday, Dec. 16 at Knox United Church. Tickets cost $25 each, which are available at Good Impressions, Community Living, and International Travel Services, or by calling 274-5556. This is a fundraiser for Community Living Fort Frances.
- “Tournament of Lights,” a bus tour for seniors to view the community Christmas lights, will be held Wednesday, Dec. 17, with pick-up starting at 6:30 p.m. at Flinders Place, Columbus Place, Rose Manor, Green Manor, Elizabeth Manor, and the Lady Frances Building. For more info, call Herman (486-0411) or Camie (275-7683).
- A special service of carol singing, Scripture, and drama will be held Christmas Eve at 6:30 p.m. at Bethel Baptist Church (behind the Copper River Inn). Come celebrate the “reason for the season.”
- A snowmobile drivers’ training course for ages 12 and up, hosted by the Borderland Snowmobile Club, will be held Monday, Dec. 22 starting at 9 a.m. in the boardroom at Gillons’ (lunch provided). The fee is $40 and the first 20 registrants will be accepted. To register or for more info, call John Homer at 276-6526.
- A kayak-rolling clinic, instructed by David Fagerdahl, is slated for Sunday, Dec. 28 from 2:30-5:30 p.m. and Monday, Dec. 29 from 6-9 p.m. at the Memorial Sports Centre pool. The cost is $155 and registration is limited to four participants per class (register by Dec. 7). For more info, call 274-6460.
- Ring in the New Year with a roast beef supper/dance at the Legion (upstairs) on Wednesday, Dec. 31. Doors open at 5:30 p.m., with dinner at 6:30. Tickets cost $25, which are available until Dec. 23 at the Legion bar and office, Betty’s, Sight & Sound, Green’s Brand Source, and Fort Frances General Supply. Tickets for the dance only (after 9 p.m.) cost $10, which will be available at the door. Questions? Call Linda Larocque (274-1567) or Jen at the Legion office (274-0129).
- The deadline for nominations for the Fort Frances Sports Hall of Fame (for all sports) is Wednesday, Dec. 31. Forms may be picked up at the Memorial Sports Centre, Taggs Source for Sports, or the Fort Frances Times. The form also is posted at www.fort-frances.com
- The annual “Polar Plunge,” hosted by the Voyageur Lions Club on Sand Bay on New Year’s Day, is looking for participants. For more info or to obtain pledge sheets, call Bill Michl at 276-1334.
- “Forget Me Not,” the local Alzheimer Society’s annual charitable dinner, also featuring entertainment and an auction, will be held Saturday, Jan. 31 at 5:30 p.m. at La Place Rendez-Vous. Tickets cost $50 each or $400 for a table of eight, with a $25 tax receipt issued. To purchase tickets, call 1-800-682-0245 or visit the Rendez-Vous or Northwoods Gallery & Gifts (Fort Frances), Dev-Lynne’s (Devlin), or the Emo Inn or Cloverleaf (Emo).
- The World War II lecture series at the Fort Frances Museum, led by Jim Curr, has been cancelled for December. It will resume Wednesday, Jan. 7 at 6:30 p.m. For more info, call 274-7891.