Conveyors From River, Truck and Rail Spur Feed Pulpwood by Hundreds of Cords to Mill
The new Fort Frances woodroom which was placed in operation here in 1952, replaced facilities, a part of which has been in operation since 1914, when the mill was constructed. The old woodroom did not lend itself to modernization and so Mando officials decided to build an entirely new woodroom.
The erection of the 73 by 164-foot building marked the beginning of the final step that leads to complete modernization of Mando’s woodroom facilities at its three plants at Kenora, International Falls and Fort Frances.
Under the new plan of operations, logs are hauled from the Rainy river and from the wood yard by modern conveyors. The river conveyor includes an extended jackladder which reaches out 120 feet into the river where it is deep and the current flows fast. The swift current brings the logs to the mouth of the jackladder, adding to the efficiency of the operation. The conveyor then rises and crosses the railroad tracks between the river and the woodroom on an overhead bridge. The whole job of bringing the logs from the river to the woodroom is easier, and more efficient, thanks to this modern conveyor.
Logs from the wood yard reach the woodroom via a 420-foot conveyor. This block long conveyor transports wood hauled to the yard by trains and trucks. Railroad tracks parallel the sides of the conveyor and one side is planked to allow unloading of trucked-in wood.
The new woodroom has four 12 by 45-foot barkers as compared with six nine by 30-foot barkers in the old woodroom. Space for a fifth barking drum is provided in case future demands require it.
Power for the large barkers comes from individual 150 h.p. electric motors.
Working conditions are greatly improved in the woodroom, thereby increasing the morale and efficiency of the workmen. Lunch, locker and washroom and locker facilities are situated on the ground floor, under the slasher area, and are finished in cream- colored tile.
The building, erected by Stead and Lindstrom of Port Arthur, is a steel frame structure with brick walls. Foundations and floors are reinforced concrete. Roof construction consists of a poured concrete slab on steel purlins, insulated with one inch of Insulite and topped with build up roofing.