Douglas John Gillon – Ontario Land Surveyor and Civil Engineer – Born in Edinburgh, Scotland, in 1864 – Educated at “Fettes College,” Edinburgh, graduating 1882.
From there he entered the “Royal Indian Engineering College,” at Coopers Hill, London, England. After graduation, he travelled extensively in foreign lands, having been in China for several years, Hong Kong and Shanghai – from there he returned to Edinburgh.
He came to Canada in 1887, and once again returned to his native land before settling in Canada.
He was admitted to the Association of Ontario Land Surveyors in 1895 and practised in North Western Ontario, arriving at Fort Frances during the Gold Boom of 1896 and made his home here.
His territory comprised the District between and inclusive of Fort William, Kenora and Rainy River, where he carried on a general surveying practice, also Town and Municipal Engineering. The nature of his work was varied, consisting of Mining Locations, Townships, Timber Berths, also Islands of Rainy Lake and Lake of the Woods, base and Meridian lines and Indian Reservations, etc.
He had just completed the Engineering work on the new Water Intake for the town of Fort Frances in 1931, when he was suddenly stricken with Pneumonia, and passed away after a very brief illness, at the age of 67, and leaves his widow and two sons, all residing at Fort Frances, Ontario.
He was a member of the Masonic Order, having been Past Master of Granite Lodge, A.F. & A.M., and was also a member of the Shrine.