Rainy River still unbeaten

The Rainy River Royals remain unbeaten in Rainy River District Fastball League playoff action after a 7-2 win over the Barwick Blue Knights on Tuesday night.
After Barwick’s leadoff batter grounded out, Travis Derksen put the
Knights ahead early by belting a home run in the top of the first inning.
But Rainy River ace Murray Armstrong regrouped, striking out the next batter and getting another ground-out to end the inning.
Guy Arpin tied the game in the bottom of the first with one swing
of the bat—a leadoff home run off Barwick starter George Oltsher
to straight-away centre.
Donny Gall then got a hit by a pitch and was brought around the bases by a series of fielder’s choices.
Armstrong then held the Blue Knights to just six base runners
the rest of the way. Barwick’s only other run was scored by J.J.
Landry, who stole second base and advanced to third on a passed ball.
He later scored on a ground-out.
“Murray pitched a smart game,” said Barwick first baseman Tyler Gamsby.
“He didn’t give them anything good to hit,” echoed Royals manager Guy Arpin. “We’ve played tight games with Barwick all season, and we wanted to win this one.
“Everyone played well,” he added. “Murray threw a good game [and] we had good hitting.”
The Royals got another home run from Scott Asselin, his first as a fastball player.
Every player in the Royals line-up reached safely in the game, including Guy Arpin, who went 4-for-4 with a home run and a pair of doubles.
Meanwhile, in the ‘B’-side bracket of the double elimination playoff format Tuesday, Sight & Sound beat Big Grassy 10-8 while the Bulldogs dumped Pinewood 13-4.
Sight & Sound’s win came right down to the seventh inning.
“It was back and forth all game,” Sight & Sound manager Derek
McKinnon said. “We played a good defensive game, we had no errors. We
played a real strong game.”
Sight & Sound also connected for five home runs against Big Grassy, including two by Paul Vissar and a clutch three-run blast by centrefielder Ed Vold that put them ahead for good.
Big Grassy threatened to score in the top of the seventh, with the
leadoff batter drawing a walk and stealing second base.
But Bob Andy then hit into a double play, sending a line drive to outfielder Jim Steele, who then threw to second base to double up the runner.
The following batter struck out to end the game.
Meanwhile, in a rematch of their first-round game, the Bulldogs responded against the Pinewood Bears with a 13-4 win.
“Their hitting dominated,” Pinewood pitcher Clint Armstrong said. “We didn’t have any sticks.”
Dennis Mounk and Don Copenace led the Bulldogs with home runs.
“Everybody was hitting for us,” said Brent Tookenay. “We had a couple
of hits each, and Warren pitched well.”
With their losses Tuesday, Big Grassy and Pinewood were eliminated from the playoffs.
As such, tonight’s will see Rainy River hosting Sight & Sound and
Barwick hosting the Bulldogs in a must-win game.