Bass tourney to try to get TV coverage back

Duane Hicks

The Fort Frances Canadian Bass Championship will be talking to Shaw about possible television coverage of the 2012 tournament.
Shaw provided coverage of the Kenora and Dryden tournaments last year, but not here.
In response to a question at Monday night’s council meeting, tournament chair Gord Watson said the FFCBC had asked Shaw for sponsorship at the beginning of last year, given it sponsors the Kenora Bass International.
FFCBC asked for a fraction of the KBI sponsorship but was told the company didn’t have the funds at that time.
The year before, the FFCBC had to pay nearly $3,000 to have Shaw on-site, noted Watson, and the board decided it did not want to incur any cost for them to come in future.
Watson said the FFCBC will speak to Shaw prior to next July’s tournament, noting it is a great event for Shaw to be involved with, but added they will not pay to have Shaw cover the event.
In response to another question about whether the FFCBC will be staged at the arena or the waterfront, Watson confirmed the event will stay at the arena in 2012.
“It was a great event at the arena. Backing in the boats worked really well,” said Watson.
“If you got down there Saturday, it was a great event. A lot of great times.
“It was good.”
Watson spoke to council Monday night to make several requests in anticipation of next year’s tournament.
He noted the requests are similar to years past, with one difference being the FFCBC is asking council to commit $5,284.01 to the operating budget to be used to offset arena charges.
Other requests included:
•designate, in writing, the “Fort Frances Canadian Bass Championship Live Release Tournament” as a significant community festival and event, and proclaim the period commencing July 23, 2012 be “Fort Frances Canadian Bass Championship Week”;
•authorize the use of picnic tables on-site (the FFCBC will arrange for the pick-up and return of the tables);
•provide the FFCBC early in July with a list of Sorting Gap Marina slip lessees so the FFCBC can contact them with a formal request for the possible use of their slips during the tournament;
•paint lines in the Resolute Forest Products’ wood yard to indicate safe parking areas for tournament angler vehicles and trailers;
•authorize tournament officials to use the Sand Bay dock as the morning start site and as an official check-in station throughout the tournament;
•waive launch fees for tournament competitors and volunteers from July 26-28 (they will provide the Sorting Gap Marina staff with a list of tournament anglers and names of volunteers who plan to launch there);
•authorize the temporary installation of poles and flags on the concrete pylons and edges of the launch ramp as in previous years (they will be removed the week after the event); and
•provide the FFCBC director of tournament operations and director of site and facilities with a dock key.
Watson noted the FFCBC would like to thank not only the town for its help this past year, but also the Rainy River Future Development Corp. and local Police Services Board.
Coun. Rick Wiedenhoeft said he was glad to see the FFCBC “back in the black” financially, and congratulated Watson and the tournament committee for all the hard work they do.
“Keep it up in the future,” he remarked.
Mayor Roy Avis also thanked Watson and the FFCBC directors for running “a first-class event.”
“We wish all the best coming up. It’s a real economic driver for this community,” the mayor said.
“You see the figures that the Rainy River Future Development [Corp.] puts forward regarding what it means to the whole district as far as economic development is concerned and the economy.
“It’s a real great thing.”