Spirit of Terry Fox lives on here

With individuals raising up to $2,002 each in pledges in the fight against cancer, the annual Terry Fox Run under brilliant sunshine Sunday afternoon showed the spirit of that famous Canadian lives on here.
This year’s Terry Fox Run was dedicated to the late Celeste Beck, former owner of Celeste’s Hair Design for Men & Women here who passed away from cancer in 1983.
“We’re very honoured,” said her daughter, Debbie Perusse, who cut the ribbon at the starting line outside the Fort Frances Museum along with her father, Bob Beck, and her son, Robert Wade Perusse.
“But there’s a lot of people who’ve been touched by cancer. This event is really for everybody,” Perusse added as she walked among the crowd of 93 adults and children on hand for this year’s run.
And one of those people was Marj Hull-Katerick, who lost her husband, Boris Katerick, to cancer back in March. She also was the top pledge-getter once again this year, raising $2,002.
“I’ve seen what has been done in cancer research, and what has to be done,” she remarked before Sunday’s run.
Hull-Katerick, who raised $2,001 last year, said it took a lot of legwork to raise that much money but in the end, it was worth it.
“This year, with husband passing away, it was more difficult—I’m just one person,” she remarked. “There’s some people that I see only once a year and that’s when I’m raising money for Terry Fox.
“The real bottom line is the community shows it cares about the Terry Fox Run,” she added.
Hull-Katerick, who cited Terry Fox as a true inspiration, said she’ll keep on raising money for the run for as long as she can—with her aim of reaching higher goals year after year.
“Next year, I hope to reach my goal of $10,000,” she said.
Another person who brings in much of the pledges year after year is Joyce Gosselin, who raised about $900 this time around. “It was tough to do, with the weather and all,” she said before the run.
“I tried hard. I wanted to make that $1,000 mark so bad,” she added. “I believe in Terry Fox very much. I finally got to see the monument [in Thunder Bay] this past summer.”
Gosselin had raised $1,075 last year.
Despite not finding a fundraising challenger this year, Clinic Pharmasave and Pharmasave Downtown staff together raised about $2,800 in pledges.
“Having everyone participate was great,” said Sabrina Stoessinger of Pharmasave Downtown. “Our customers and some local businesses were all very supportive of us.”
The clinic dispensary raised $535 while the downtown store, after buying Terry Fox Run 2002 T-shirts, gave more than $2,200.
Darren and Leanna Johnson, who got decked out in a little face paint and hair dye for the event, said the reason for participating was simple. “Leanna likes to run,” said Darren, who along with his dog, Denver, saw her off at the start line.
“Why not raise some money for a good cause at the same time?” he added. Johnson raised $50 (U.S.)
In related news, local resident Ed Katona returned from a three-day bike ride from here to Kenora and Dryden and back yesterday, raising $— for cancer research.
Katona made the ride with fellow cyclist Arnie Johnsrud, a former Stratton resident now living in Winnipeg.
Katona raised about $1,500 for the Terry Fox Run last year on a bike trip to Winnipeg.
Given it what her first time organizing the event, organizer Vanessa Hebert of the Fort Frances Volunteer Bureau said this year’s Terry Fox Run “went pretty well.”
“There were a couple of things that could have gone better, like my watch was fast. Nobody said anything,” she laughed.
“And there wasn’t a lot of room,” Hebert added. “I’m thinking next year, we might start out at the Point and having a barbecue at the end, make it more of a family outing.
“Maybe that will draw more people to come out.”
Last year, more than 200 people raised $13,013.82 for the Terry Fox Foundation here, which donates money for cancer research.
While 25 volunteers helped out with registration and handed out refreshments, Jean Bujold led the participants in a warm-up before Sunday’s run.
It began at the museum, went down Portage Avenue to Front Street, and then continued along the riverfront to Pither’s Point, where participants turned around and returned to the museum.