The Fort Frances Times and Bulletin has an opening for a full-time reporter/staff writer, funded by Department of Canadian Heritage through its Local Journalism Initiative Program.
This is an opportunity to jump start your journalism career. Join our enthusiastic team of journalists at an independent paper published in Northwestern Ontario. As part of a four-person editorial team, the staff writer will cover all aspects of local news, events, people, and happenings that take place throughout the Rainy River District.
The Fort Frances Times has been published for over 127 years, telling the stories of the lives and times of the residents of the Rainy River District. Our coverage area is broad, encompassing the 10 different communities and 11 First Nations of the District.
Fort Frances is a community of over 7000 residents in Ontario, on the US border with a sister community (International Falls, Minnesota), and lies midway between Winnipeg and Thunder Bay. Fort Frances is situated on Rainy Lake, surrounded by the Canadian Shield, and is famous for fishing, hunting and outdoor recreation opportunities year-round.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
- Post-second degree or diploma in journalism or English
- Strong writing and photography skills
- Knowledge of page layout software, including the Adobe Creative Suite
- Ability to meet daily deadlines
- Outgoing personality and good people skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Enthusiasm and willingness to learn
Must possess driver’s license and reliable vehicle, as well as the ability to work flexible hours. Mileage is paid.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU:
• Opportunity to be part of an amazing team
• Work for a well-established and respected company that is connected to the community
• Be part of a company that is committed to providing a healthy and safe work environment
• Excellent extended health benefits package
• Wage commensurate with experience
HOW TO APPLY:
Email your resume and cover letter today to email@example.com – or, if it’s easier, drop it off at:
Fort Frances Times
116 1st St. E.
Fort Frances, ON