Tragedy strikes the herd, despite ideal conditions

So much happened last week! Bradley and I finished combining spring cereals on Monday and when I came in, I saw that my boyfriend/partner had called. I knew that wasn’t a good sign. I returned the call to find out that I had a dead animal. I was shocked and the entire drive home I was trying to figure out in my head who it could be and why. The thing is, panic sets in, and your mind only goes to the worst-case scenario. Did I have anthrax? There was a large bear showing up on a deer camera, did it attack? I called my vet cousin and she met me in the field. It was a two-year-old cow that had a lovely heifer calf. Stacey did the autopsy to find out we had a rare form of pneumonia known as Atypical Interstitial pneumonia. (Google that.) Long and short – it affects adult beef cattle grazing lush pastures in the later summer and fall. I mean what next? We all aim to have lush pastures for our cattle! I do think harvesting a month later is to blame and the cattle are entering the regrowth at a completely different stage. So, then to watch the others. When I go visit cattle they tend to run and see me, so you need to sit and watch for a bit to see if anyone has breathing issues. I do seem to have one more that has been affected by this but so far she is holding her own. There is little to no treatment, so we are just hoping she is going to pull through. Ugh. I tell you there is something new everyday. I must say, when I put the cattle in that area for some reason, I had a bad feeling, but I certainly never would have thought about anything like this.

I saw the surgeon again last week and he decided to take my cast off! I am now sporting a wrist brace. He felt I was very weak and that it was smart to start to strengthen my arm again. I am feeling quite wimpy and tend to protect it quickly. I am unable to do all the exercises yet, but I am sure that will come.

Saturday many spent the day at the Sales Barn preparing for the Cattle Sale this weekend. We have installed a new tag reader system and we had to get the program to recognize that. A bunch of the helpers were working in our old barn. They poured some more cement and have things set up very nicely to move the cattle from the pens into our new sales area. The amount of volunteer hours that have been spent at the facility is nothing short of amazing! We know that everyone is getting tired of our work bees, but we are nearing the end.

Sunday was preg checking at home! I brought all my cattle home and they started off coming nicely until they got to the home yard and then they thought something was up! It didn’t take much coaxing and we got them. It was an all girl preg checking team with my mom, Dr. Stacey, Charlie, myself, and Marlee! I am still limited with my arm, so I was very grateful for our team. I ended up with one open cow and one two-year-old open. We have made some improvements in our facilities (more to come) and we have slowed down the process and it has made all the difference in the world when handling cattle. So, like I said we continue to learn!