Nadal pulls out of Rogers Cup
TORONTO—A wrist injury will prevent Rafael Nadal from defending his title at next week’s Rogers Cup in Toronto.
The second-ranked player in the world withdrew Tuesday from the tournament, as well as the following tournament in Cincinnati—another key U.S. Open prep event.
He won last year’s Rogers Cup in Montreal.
“I’m extremely disappointed that I am unable to defend my Rogers Cup title this year,” Nadal said in a statement released by Tennis Canada.
“I was looking forward to coming there and playing again in Toronto, as I have always loved to play in Canada and had great results in the past at a very important event.”
Nadal is left-handed but the 28-year-old uses a two-handed backhand.
In a statement, he said he would be out for a least two-three weeks.
The Spaniard also is the defending U.S. Open champion, and the injury puts that defence in doubt.
His 2013 title at Flushing Meadows is one of 14 Grand Slams—tied with Pete Sampras for second in men’s tennis history behind only Roger Federer’s 17.
Projected to be the No. 2 seed in Toronto, Nadal was set to be in town for tomorrow’s draw.
The tournament begins Monday.