Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Golf courses try to stay afloat

Rain, rain go away—and don’t bother coming back for a few months, if possible.
That sentiment might be a fair assessment of what those running the golf courses here are feeling as they deal with near-record high water levels.

Kitchen Creek Golf Club has been closed since last Wednesday and general manager Glen Kellar only can shake his head in frustration at the current situation.
And hope it doesn’t get worse.
“We are definitely underwater,” Kellar said bluntly on Monday.
“All our crossing areas are covered, including on holes 9, 11, 12, 5, and 7,” he noted.
“This is the worst I’ve seen it,” Kellar added.
“It’s amazing how quickly that much water can accumulate.”
The situation is not as bad at Heron Landing Golf Course on Couchiching, although head pro Brian Johnstone isn’t exactly having a day at the beach, either.
“It’s not too bad but we do have a couple of bridges underwater,” said Johnstone, who has had the course shut down since Sunday.
“We’re bringing in a floating dock [yesterday] to use as a temporary bridge to get people across the creek at No. 8,” he noted.
“And the bridge at No. 6 isn’t underwater but it does have water starting to run over top of it.”
Kellar, who held a volunteer work bee yesterday with people coming to help remove water and fix cart paths among other tasks, confirmed yesterday the course would be open today as long as there was no additional significant rainfall.
“The course is playable,” he remarked. “We just can’t get anyone to it.
“I would recommend people call before they come out to make sure we’re open.”
Johnstone echoed those thoughts, saying Heron Landing is holding up well overall under the recent onslaught of precipitation.
“We haven’t lost any structures or cart paths to the water yet,” he said.
So far, the only major event to be affected at Heron Landing was the Seven Generations tournament scheduled for this past Friday.
It now is slated to held this Saturday—weather permitting.
Over at Kitchen Creek, a two-man scramble scheduled for Saturday had to be scrubbed.
Meanwhile, Johnstone wasn’t making any predictions Monday as to a re-opening date.
“It could take two hours to put in that floating dock or two days,” he remarked.
“The best I can say is we’ll open as soon as we can.”

More stories