Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Muskie soccer squads rolling

An unscathed loss column with just two games left in the regular season have both Muskie soccer teams in high spirits.
The Muskie boys (4-0) clinched first place yesterday with a 5-1 victory over the Kenora Broncos (0-4) and then a 4-0 shutout of the host Dryden Eagles (2-2).

“We are very excited about how the boys played yesterday,” said head coach Shane Beckett, whose team will go straight to the NorWOSSA final this coming Wednesday in Kenora.
“Missing three guys who are away on the Italy trip [Derek Kaemingh, Matt Berube, and Kevin Metke], we knew that guys would have to step up and they did,” Beckett added.
“We were also very pleased by the effort level and performance from all 22 boys,” he added.
“We rolled the entire bench in both games and did not miss a beat.
“It shows our depth and ability when you can play 22 guys and continue to play at a high level,” Beckett remarked.
“We were very proud of them yesterday.”
Tyler Ruppenstein, Isaac Firth, Christian Audette, Jarred Taylor, and Braden Webb scored in the opening game against Kenora while Ben Whitburn earned the win in net.
The Broncos’ goal scorer was unavailable by press time.
Then in their second game of the day, Ruppenstein and Webb again found the back of the net while Ian Jodoin and Max Williams, with his team-leading fourth goal of the season, also tallied.
Whitburn earned the shutout.
Dryden blasted Kenora 6-0 in the other boys’ game yesterday.
As for the Muskie girls (2-0-2), it was the same results but with reverse opponents compared to what happened in the season-opener here back on May 12.
Katie Sinclair and Claire Hyatt provided the offence, and Amy Penner earned the shutout, as the Muskies blanked the defending NorWOSSA champion Broncos (0-2-2) 2-0 after tying them 1-1 nine days earlier.
“The girls started strong using their passing skills and moving to open space on the field to create scoring opportunities,” noted Muskie head coach Alyssa Holliday.
Then in their late game against host Dryden (1-1-2), whom Fort High had beaten 2-0 here, the Muskies had to fight back to earn a 2-2 tie.
Sydney Radigan opened the scoring in the first half before suffering an ankle sprain.
The Eagles took advantage with a pair of goals to go up 2-1 at halftime.
Penner replaced Liz Allan in goal in the second half and the change sparked the Muskies, who were awarded a penalty shot late in the game after an Eagle infraction within its 18-yard box.
Hyatt, who scored on a penalty kick at home against the Eagles, once again made the most of the opportunity—bulging the twine to net the Muskies the point.
“The girls had a great day,” lauded Holliday. “They all played very well.”
Both teams will wrap up the regular season tomorrow in Kenora.
The Muskie girls can lock down first place—and a bye to the NorWOSSA final next week—with a win or two ties.

More stories