Saturday, August 1, 2015

Search continues for three canoeists

NEW DENVER, B.C.—A sacred fire will burn for four days on the shores of a cold and deep southeastern B.C. lake to honour the lives of four “Kootenay Kids” who died in a weekend canoe accident.
Close friends were holding a round-the-clock vigil for the woman and three men who died after their boat flipped Saturday as they returned from an outing on Slocan Lake, near the mountain village of New Denver.

Lily Harmer-Taylor, 19, died despite resuscitation attempts.
A recovery operation was underway yesterday for 15-year-old Jule Wiltshire-Padfield, 21-year-old Hayden Kyle, and 19-year-old Skye Donnet, whose bodies never surfaced.
Some 50-60 residents gathered to mourn on the lakeside Sunday for an emotional spiritual ceremony as the sun set behind the mountains.
The residents held hands and performed a First Nations’ smudging, or cleansing ceremony, with sage and burned tobacco, said resident and friend Isaac Carter.
He said the crew had been dubbed the “Kootenay Kids” after the West Kootenay region where they lived.
“Fearless. That’s about it. They were fearless kids and they experienced life to its fullest, without a doubt,” said Carter, 24.
He said teenage friends closest to the canoeists set candles adrift in the water and planned to go on feeding the fire under the watch of community elders.
“It’s actually the kids who are doing this,” Carter noted.
“Even just keeping a fire going for four days it shows, I think, they’re going to have a newfound respect for death.”
The ceremony also included intense chanting by a Cree man and the singing of a death song by a Jewish woman in Aramaic, he added.
Carter said there was no sense in trying to find someone to blame.
“We’ve all done it. We live on the lake, we play on the lake. It’s that one time,” he reasoned.
“The weather changes here by the minute and everything went wrong at one moment, and we will never know what happened.
“We will have to deal with that,” he added.
“Something went wrong” about 5:30 p.m. on Saturday when the four were paddling about 150 metres off shore near the historic Molly Hughes mine, according to the BC Coroners Service.
Passers-by noticed the group in trouble and sought help. But when emergency crews arrived, they found Harmer-Taylor unconscious near the canoe.
She was rushed to hospital, but could not be revived with “aggressive resuscitative events.”
Yesterday, an RCMP dive team was searching for the bodies of the three males in one-degree C waters near the site of where the canoe was located.
Sgt. Darryl Little said eight divers were involved in the mission after an aerial search of the lake and shoreline turned up no clues. Police have said the canoeists were not wearing life jackets, but the water is so frigid that they would not have survived in it for long.
RCMP and the BC Coroners Service are investigating.

More stories