Sunday, July 5, 2015

Several charges laid

Rainy River District OPP officers responded to the report of an intoxicated male driver leaving a local drive-through restaurant and proceeding east on King’s Highway in the early-morning hours of Sunday.
Police located the suspect vehicle on the 100 block of Third Street West around 2:20 a.m. and stopped it.

The driver, Sheldon Morrison, 35, of Wabigoon First Nation, was arrested and charged with impaired operation of a motor vehicle after officers confirmed evidence of impairment.
The vehicle was towed from the scene and impounded.
The driver, meanwhile, was taken to the Fort Frances detachment and subsequently charged with driving with a blood alcohol level over 80 mg following the results of breathalyzer tests.
He also was charged with driving while under suspension.
He is to appear in court here April 28.
The OPP would like to thank the public for reporting this crime, thus reducing the potential of a collision resulting in injury or death.
Last Thursday, police were called to a Fort Frances commercial property around 11:15 p.m. in response to someone trying to steal a pickup truck from a locked compound.
When officers arrived, they were directed to the rear of the compound, where they observed the pickup truck running with its lights on and a male seated in the driver’s seat with all of the doors locked.
The male was directed to put the vehicle in park and unlock the doors, but had a difficult time complying due to his level of intoxication.
Once officers were in a position to remove the driver from the vehicle, he became unco-operative and physically resistant with police.
He was placed under arrest and taken into custody.
Dustin Melrose, 24, of Fort Frances was charged with theft of a motor vehicle, care and control of a motor vehicle, and resisting arrest.
He later was released from custody and ordered to appear in court here April 28.
And on Friday, police responded to a Fort Frances establishment after receiving a report that a male patron was belligerent to staff and refusing to leave upon direction.
Police attended and confirmed the male was under the influence of alcohol and being unco-operative with staff.
When police arrived, the man became confrontational with the officers, as well.
After refusing police direction to leave, the male was placed under arrest and taken into custody at the Fort Frances detachment pending his sobriety.
A 58-year-old Fort Frances male was charged with failing to leave a premise when directed.
His name was not released by police.

More stories