Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Still no trace of missing Malaysian plane

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia—Rescue helicopters and ships searching for a Malaysia Airlines jet rushed today to investigate a yellow object that looked like a life raft.
It turned out to be moss-covered trash floating in the ocean—once again dashing hopes after more than two days of fruitless search for the plane that disappeared en route to Beijing with 239 people on board.

With no confirmation that the Boeing 777 had crashed, hundreds of distraught relatives waited anxiously for any news.
Thai police and Interpol, meanwhile, questioned the proprietors of a travel agency in the resort town of Pattaya that sold one-way tickets to two men now known to have been travelling on flight MH370 using stolen passports.
There has been no indication the two men had anything to do with the tragedy, but the use of stolen passports fueled speculation of foul play, terrorism, or a hijacking gone wrong.
Malaysia has shared their details with Chinese and American intelligence agencies.
Malaysia’s police chief was quoted by local media as saying that one of the men had been identified.
Civil aviation chief Azharuddin Abdul Rahman declined to confirm this, but said they were of “non-Asian” appearance.
He added that authorities were looking at the possibility the men were connected to a stolen passport syndicate.
The search operation has involved 34 aircraft and 40 ships from several countries covering a 50-nautical mile radius from the point the plane vanished from radar screens between Malaysia and Vietnam, Azharuddin noted.
Experts say possible causes of the apparent crash include an explosion, catastrophic engine failure, terrorist attack, extreme turbulence, pilot error, or even suicide.
Selamat Omar, a Malaysian whose 29-year-old son, Mohamad Khairul Amri Selamat, was a passenger on the flight, expected a call from him at the 6.30 a.m. arrival time.
Instead, he got a call from the airline saying the plane was missing.
“We accept God’s will,” Selamat said. “Whether he is found alive or dead, we surrender to Allah.”
There have been a few glimmers of hope but so far no trace of the plane has been found.
On Sunday afternoon, a Vietnamese plane spotted a rectangular object that was thought to be one of the missing plane’s doors, but ships working through the night could not locate it.
Then today, a Singaporean search plane spotted a yellow object some 140 km southwest of Tho Chu island, but it turned out to be some sea trash.
Malaysian maritime officials found some oil slicks in the South China Sea and sent a sample to a lab to see if it came from the plane.
Tests showed that the oil was not from an aircraft, Azharuddin said.
As relatives of the 239 people on the flight grappled with fading hope, attention focused on how two passengers managed to board the aircraft using stolen passports.
Interpol confirmed it knew about the stolen passports but said no authorities checked its vast databases on stolen documents before the jet departed.
Warning that “only a handful of countries” routinely make such checks, Interpol Secretary General Ronald Noble chided authorities for “waiting for a tragedy to put prudent security measures in place at borders and boarding gates.”
The two stolen passports—one belonging to Austrian Christian Kozel and the other to Luigi Maraldi of Italy—were entered into Interpol’s database after they were stolen in Thailand in 2012 and last year, the police body said.

More stories