Goat manure pile spontaneously combusts, spreads stench over Vt. town; no damage or injuries
WINDSOR, Vt. — Officials say a pile of goat manure spontaneously caught fire, spreading stench and wrinkling noses through a Vermont town but causing no damage.
Windsor Town Manager Tom Marsh says the odour that followed the fire evoked “a damp kind of burning leaves or brush fire.”
Farm owner George Redick says the manure would typically have been spread around the farm earlier in the year, but the rainy season and other factors kept that from happening.
He says he used to think spontaneous combustion was a myth, but now he’s a believer.